Laserfiche WebLink
1 <br />196 <br />CONVERSION OF PUBLIC STREETS TO PRIVATE STREETS <br />Ir9 <br />The conversion of public streets to private streets involves the vacation of public <br />street rights -of -way after the City Council makes a finding that the street is <br />unnecessary for present or prospective public use. The actual street vacation <br />process described in the State of California Streets and Highway Code must be <br />followed. Since the streets to be vacated will still be used as streets for private <br />purposes, it will be necessary to insure that there is a responsible body to take <br />over the operation, maintenance, and liabilities of the streets. In most instances <br />this can be a rather lengthy and complicated process. The following steps are to <br />be used as a guide to completing the conversion process: <br />1. Poll all property owners that would be affected by the conversion <br />of public streets to private streets and submit results in letter to <br />Public Works Department The poll should be in the form of a <br />petition that provides the residents with information concerning <br />costs, obligations, and liabilities related to the conversion of a <br />public street to a private street An estimate of annual costs and <br />the cost of processing the conversion should be provided. The <br />community association and /or sponsors will be responsible for <br />preparing all legal documents, engineering drawings, mailing to <br />property owners and other items related to the vacation. <br />2. Send letter to Public Works Department requesting the City to <br />consider the vacation of the public streets in order to convert them <br />to private streets. The letter shall be accompanied by a filing fee to <br />cover administrative costs of City. <br />3. Public Works Department submits request to City Council to <br />obtain approval in concept and authorization to work with <br />community association towards the goal of vacating the street <br />4. If no formal community association exists, one must be created and <br />empowered to: <br />a. Accept the street rights -of -way when the street is vacated by <br />the City. <br />b. Operate and maintain the streets. <br />c Assess funds for the operation and maintenance of the streets.